The 2023 Nextwave competition is now open for entries! Make a film under 5 minutes, include the unique theme and item Strength and Torch, and submit by October 25th to win!
For your film to be eligible to enter the 2023 Nextwave Youth Film Competition, there are a few rules to think about.
2023 Nextwave Competition Guidelines:
1. Your film has to be under 5 minutes duration, including intro and credits. No exceptions.
2. You must be aged between 10-25 years and living in Australia in order to be eligible.
3. Films are to creatively include the 2023 theme and item, TORCH and STRENGTH. In order to be eligible for the competition, films must include something TROCH, and reflect themes of STRENGTH. These can be as literal or as abstract as you like, get creative with it!
4. If you are using another person’s music in your film, please make sure you have their permission to do so. If you do not have an artists’ permission or have not made your own music or sourced copyright free material, your film will not be eligible for the competition. For more information on copyright, check out the APRA AMCOS website here.
6. Creativity, originality and story-telling will be more highly considered in judging than production value – you don’t need a flashy camera to make a great, captivating short film. It’s your story and how you tell it that counts.
7. You can enter as many films as you like, provided you meet the entry criteria.
8. Your film is to be rated G or PG. This means no over-the-top violence, drugs, swearing or sexual content. If your film cannot be shown at a public screening for families then your film may not be eligible. Nextwave reserves the right to not include any films that contradict this rule. If in doubt, ask us on the Nextwave Facebook page.
9. All keys roles (eg, Director, Producer, Writer, Cinematographer, Editor, Actor) MUST be aged between 10-25 in order to be eligible. Friends and family can help you make your film, but the main roles need to be done by a young person.
10. For your film to be eligible you will need to officially enter it by filling out the Entry Form and by submitting your film via Film Freeway by October 25th, 2023. Nextwave is all about giving new films an audience, therefore your film must have finished principle photography after January 1st, 2023.
12. Get creative and have fun!